Monday, April 13, 2009

Believing God

I am now reading a great new book by Dr. R.C. Sproul Jr. entitled "Believing God." His thesis is that one of the problems that many Christians have is that although they do believe in God, they don't believe God. He points out how we believe in God but do not expect Him to really answer prayer, and are often surprised when He does.

I suppose that we do all have a little bit of doubting Thomas in us. I was reminded of that particular encounter this morning and pondered how we do all seem to be like that; "I am not going to believe until I put my hand in his side and touch his nail-scarred hands." The Italian painter Caravaggio painted a picture entitled "The Incredulity of St. Thomas" in which he tried to capture that moment. To see the painting, click here.

The Lord calls us to walk a faith walk; to trust and obey. It really does help relieve some of our day-to-day pressures if we will simply do that. Also, if we really want to see God work, we MUST have faith. We need to be like the guy in Mark 9:24 who said, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

No comments:

Post a Comment